<VV> A/C Production/AC heads/gaskets

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu May 31 15:52:24 EDT 2012

Hi Tim,
As far as I know the cylinder base gaskets were never made of copper. There
 would not be a reason to do so either. Every one I have ever seen was
apparently steel.   Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that all  very
early Corvair head gaskets were copper. I'm not sure when the conversion  was
made to steel, but all 1960-61 head gaskets were copper as far as I know.  The
thicker base gaskets were used ONLY on the 1966 140 hp engine with  A/C.  I
forget the thickness but can look it up if need be. (Note that the  1966
140 hp engine was the only one that had factory air cond.)
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 5/31/2012 12:08:46 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,