<VV> Snap Switch Temperature [long] - was: Engine Cooling

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu May 31 22:36:33 EDT 2012

Hello Folks,

For the past 30 years I had made the same assumption as Dave (see message
below) concerning the 575F snap switch used in turbo/140 cars, but I
recently noticed a difference in the head design that may offer an
engineering-based, rather than marketing driven explanation for why they
are different.

But first some background; I have been trying to set up an aftermarket
cylinder head temperature gauge that would reproduce temperature readings
in line with the factory thermistor gauge, but without having the T/C
rather crudely mounted under a spark plug.  My first attempt was to use a
ring terminal configured T/C placed under the snap switch.  At this
mounting position I discovered that the readings are always about 1/2 the
measured temperature of the factory gauge; 150-200F for most driving.  This
was the same for both VDO and Westach gauges using type J thermocouples
mounted to 110 heads.  It seems that the top surface of the snap switch
boss runs quite a bit cooler than the metal immediately under the quench
area or combustion chamber that the switch or thermistor senses.  I then
decided that an aircraft type thermocouple probe inserted in a hole drilled
somewhere in the snap switch boss would more likely yield the measurements
I was seeking.  I considered this route because I intend to use a dual
gauge on my new FC engine, yet I want to retain the snap switches [under
each head] both wired to the idiot light.  I looked at a 140 head that was
handy and noticed that a hole for such a probe could easily be drilled
parallel to the thermistor hole and that it would end up just under the top
edge of the quench area.  I placed a call to Ken Hand concerning this
idea.  He immediately pointed out that the switch/thermistor  boss on
140/turbo heads is different than all other heads.  Back in my shop I
located a spare 102 head and also looked at the head on a core 95
motor.  Sure enough, the boss designs are different!  In particular, the
turbo/140 boss is further inboard and higher up behind the end of the
combustion chamber with the mounting surface nestled between the fins,
whereas the standard [98/102/110] head boss extends lower down behind the
quench area with the snap switch mounted about even with the lower edge of
the fins.

While thinking about how to drill a probe hole in the 110 head switch boss
it suddenly occurred to me: A snap switch mounted on a turbo/140 head boss
would be closer to the combustion chamber, and therefore likely measure a
higher temperature than if mounted to a standard [low HP] head boss. This
makes perfect engineering sense to me; the different snap switches may
measure essentially the same overheat condition, but are calibrated to
their individual mounting locations.  I think that a snap switch mounted on
a turbo/140 head sensor boss, being nestled up between the adjacent fins
and closer to the top of the combustion chamber, could easily measure 50F
hotter than a snap switch mounted on a standard head [low HP} sensor boss
when either engine reaches an overheat condition.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI