<VV> HELP!! (garage lighting info)

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 14:43:26 EDT 2012

 Ah yes, this thread comes up from time to time. Good lighting is important, but be willing to go a little beyond THE cheapest available, as those fixtures are never worth it.

What I did:

I have a two car garage. I have 6 fixtures, two tubes each. The lighting is very good and fairly uniform.

Forget the F40 fluorescents, they stink, and are on the way to being discontinued. Mine are the newer F32T8 fixtures, which, besides instant starting, also will light to 0F. These fixtures are available at most home improvement stores at a reasonable price and use less energy for the same light as the old F40s.

Where you should spend some bucks is in the tubes. Good tubes with a high color rendering index makes all the difference in the world, especially of color perception is important. At any rate, these also reduce eye strain as well.
What you want are F32T8D835 tubes. These have a greater than 85 CRI and a color temp of 3500K, which is about halfway between warm white and cool white. These are available at most electrical supply stores, or online. I got mine online. See:

 http://www.bulbs.com/espec.aspx?ID=9949&RefId=58

There are other vendors, but this is what I did and I am VERY happy with the results!

John Roberts