<VV> Transmission noise

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Fri Oct 5 13:58:14 EDT 2012

The input gear (which is the one in the very front that the input shaft fits into) spins at a different rate than the output shaft except when you are in 4th gear when it is basically locked to the output shaft.  For that reason I would guess that the needle bearings between the gear and shaft are bad.  The bearings are shown on page 130 of Clark's main catalog #57.
Lon's answer is probably the more likely solution since the countershaft has no power being transmitted through it in 4th although it is still spinning.  (and I've seen these bad more often but never noticed any noise)
In my solution the bearings I'm talking about are stationary relative to the 2 parts they ride between while in 4th.
Either way the parts changed a lot from '61 to '65.  The input gear or driven gear went from 12 internal teeth to 14, they had more than one ratio and some that have the same number of teeth have different diameters so the counter shaft has to match.  The id mark that I know about is a hole in the side.  I believe earlier ones had one and later ones had two.  The internal hard surface on my '63 Greenbrier had flaked off so I had to find a replacement.  I went through several before I found one that fit.
Joel McGregor