<VV> HELP!! (garage lighting info) (Permitting)

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Mon Oct 8 13:24:17 EDT 2012

Good point on checking your insurance policy.  I was assuming that the wiring would be done better by the owner than by most people hired.  The guy that came by to seal my meter made a comment on how nice the wiring was compared to what he normally saw.  I'm not really sure what he was talking about because all I did was mount a 200A fused disconnect for my shop and a 50A box for my hot tub.  You would have to be a real hack to mess that up.  I looked at another hot tub a few days ago and if that is what he is used to seeing I can understand.  It had individual wires running to it loosely wrapped in electrical tape and hung on the wall.  Anything I've done was better than what code called for.  I used 00 to power my 125A panel in my shop.  I'll put wire in conduit when it isn't required and always run larger wire than code calls for.  I think the codes we have for wire size are insufficient.  The only thing I wouldn't do at the moment is use the new arc fault breakers.  I don't have any experience with them but the electricians I know say they are junk.  If I find that they are better I'm sure I will start using them.  Any experience with them here?
Joel McGregor