<VV> Mid Ohio

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 15:57:04 EDT 2012

All,

Michael seems too bashful to report on the Mid Ohio race weekend; so
here goes.

This was Michael's last chance this year to get his requirements
fullfilled for his road racing license.
   The weather forecast was just terrible, 30s at night and low 50s and
rain during the day. unfortunately the weather man was right this time.
    It quit raining  just long enough Friday to get his tech done. At
regisgtration I was recognized at sign in, and the car was instantly
recognized at tech, by the same pople who teched it in the 70s when I
was racing Corvair Yenko Striger YS160.
    We also met many Indy SCCA and Fort Wayne folks who were helping
with timing and scoring.
   We also met many SCCA racers from these regions; just a few of many:
Sue Young, Carole and Ron Golmayer. Brian Hoover, Scott Lewis, Brian
Hoover, and Bill Campbell. Just tooo many to list them all.
    Michael had very little trouble with the car so he, Tracy, Paul Fox
and I got to visit and chat with all of the MANY who were interested in
the racing Corvair---it seemed to never stop, which is a good thing.
All of the question were very intelligent; none of that 4 cylinder
model questions.
     The Saturday events were in the dry but VERY cold. Of course the
track was very slippery and completely unknown to Michael. Our crew
kept asking me where to view the races; I couldn't help, in my racing
days I was always too busy to watch races.
      Michael's group was a varied collection including GT1 cars; so
winning overall was not a possibility.
    Michael qualified about mid pack and began picking off cars right
away. I suspect it was partly because of the Acura Integra which hit
him almost immediately and started the adreanlin flowing. He passed the
Acura on the last lap---no he didn't hit him back; he had to get his
permit signed--and went on to win E/P. Not bad for a first race.!!!
   We didn't camp out as planned got a warm dry motel instead.
    Sunday it rained all day and stayed in the forties. I  and others
had on 5 layers of clothing including a rain suit.
    Michael's rain tires wouldn't fit so  ran on slicks in the race and
finished second in EP. As an example of the conditions; he ran 1:47 sec
in the dry and 3:00 in the rain--any who didn't went off of the
track--rains or not.
     The only mechanical problems were a battery that went dead 5
minutes before the start and a bolt that came loose in the fan belt
idler pulley; no lost belts after that. .
       Corvairs got a lot of  good publicity, we loved it. I personally
loved the De Ja Vu.

Warren

Proud Papa