<VV> hydraulic lock

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 11 10:15:08 EDT 2012

Symptom: I had a problem starting my '66 PG. Starter engaged but would not turn
over the engine. I replaced the starter and had the exact same problem. It
reminded me of a hydraulic lick on radial engines when fuel/oil would drain into
the bottom cylinder and 'locks' the engine.

 Solution: I then pulled the engine though by the bolt in the pulley.
One cylinder seemed very tight, but did pull through with some gentle pressure
on the wrench.

 Engine turned over easily and started.

 Cause: ??? How does enough fluid get into an HO engine to lock the cylinder.
Can one carb drain in enough??  Replace the fuel inlet valve, lower /check float
level?
 MIKE KOVACS