<VV> Hydro-locking

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Thu Oct 11 13:43:48 EDT 2012

That is precisely what happened to me at the Virginia Vair Fair last May.
The needle valve on the driver side carburetor stuck open and I
inadvertently parked with the nose uphill.  By my estimate, between 1/2 and
3/4 of a gallon of fuel drained through the engine.  There was enough
gasoline in #2 to prevent the starter turning the engine.  Like you, we at
first suspected the starter, but when it checked out, someone suggested
hydro-locking as a possible culprit.  We pulled the #2 spark plug and spun
the starter.  Fuel came spurting out of the spark plug hole.  I would not
have thought it possible prior to seeing it with my own eyes.  Replacing the
needle and seat along with lowering the float level is a good place to
start.  I also try never to park uphill again.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
66 Monza 140/4-sp