<VV> Saturday race report from the ProdFest

ricknorris at suddenlink.net ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Sat Oct 20 19:53:49 EDT 2012

It was only 44 degrees this morning which is way warmer than last year. The sun came up and it warmed up to 70 or so but it was breezy.
David Clemens and Barry Ellison arrived around 7:45 and parked with us.
I went out with group 2 at 9:04 after they replaced some of the tire wall where a Group 1 car rearranged it. Cane you say cold tires?
My session was not without some drama. The engine would not rev past 5 grand without breaking up. After several laps it would go to 6 grand, just like it did at Road Atlanta. I kept going then had an off course at turn 14 and spun in the grass. I got it fired back up and rejoined practice with no damage, just a bale of grass under the car. All was going as well as it could when the engine sounded like I had dropped a cylinder. I pedaled it around to the pits and back to the paddock.
Turned out to be a plug wire off. Easy fix. I managed 7 out of 10 laps. That so far is a record for me! I will race tomorrow. Group 2 goes out a little later tomorrow which will give the track more time to dry and warm up.

David had a David kind of day. SPU went out after lunch. The car was running good and looked good. Then he spun at turn 17 just before the front straight. He managed to get the car back on track. When we didn't see him coming around again I really thought he be coming in on the hook but, after the session ended he came back in driving the car. That was goo so we thought. He said he thought a belt came off but as Barry and I was looking at the engine we saw the harmonic balancer pulley came apart. David said it was an older one. None of us had a spare. The plan was for Bob Coffin's wife to bring one to Stuart VA and David would drive up and get it. That was better than David driving all the way back to Roanoke to pull one off another engine. He and Barry grabbed a burger at the ProdFest party and hit the road.

Janet and I attended the ProdFest party put on by Mark and Barrie Coffin. The grilled burgers and cold beer were great. I'm a bit tired but, I'll be ready for the race tomorrow. All you racers need to make this gig.

Tomorrows report will be from home as we will pack up and hit the road for the Mountain State as soon as we finish the race. Notice I said FINISH!
--
Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com