<VV> Update on UV #420 with Cell #

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 02:06:48 EDT 2012

UPDATE: Another memorable day. Doug Bell of Damascus, OR, led me around Portland on back roads so I could stay off the freeway. He also provided a spare transmission which, like the current one,is of unknown provenance. Made it to Cascade Locks on the Columbia River before I heard a noise (hard to describe) & lost some power. I'm thinking probably a valve problem (seat?). Drove a quarter mile to get into a parking lot. Then calls to various of the Corvair brethren to locate a mechanic in the area. Rex Johnson of Salem is at the fan belt toss & I don't know of any others in the Portland area. Closest mech I found is in the Tri-Cities area, still over 150 miles from Cascade Locks. Spent a whole bunch of time on the phone with my towing insurance company trying to convince them that the "nearest qualified repair center" is not the nearest RV dealership. That managed to chew up most of the available daylight. Got a valve cover off but that's all before I had to talk on the phone some more to the insurance people. When I got done with them, it was getting dark. I am insisting that they not dispatch a truck until they tell me where it is going to take the Ultra and I have a chance to vet the mechanic as being familiar with Corvairs. Insurance people aren't very happy about my suggestion of taking it to the Tri-Cities. They say if they find a qualified repair shop that is closer, I can go where I want & pay the difference at $6.00/mile. Conference call on the subject is scheduled for 9am tomorrow. In the meantime, Dale Stephens (corvair mech from the Tri-Cities area) has pitched in with advice on checking valve adjustment, pushrods, etc. If I can't fix it myself, find closer mechanical assistance, or come to agreement with towing company, I plan to try making it to Tri-Cities in low gear on 5 cylinders.

Per Matt's suggestion, my cell is 507-316-2722. Any tips on nearby Corvair mechs would be appreciated. Gotta quit now & get some badly needed sleep. Up at 6 to drive back to the van.

Gary from Rochester

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio