<VV> EM ignition lock & key

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Thu Oct 25 10:54:58 EDT 2012

GM did not use a ton of key combos. Often there are club members, or
even yourself, who might have a key close enough to remove the cylinder
lock as below.   Once it is removed, you can see when the correct key
combo makes all the parts align properly.   Often taking a close key and
stroking it while turning it, like a lock picker would do, you can make
a wrong key act like a proper key.

I was once in my college parking lot and happened onto a damsel in
distress, who had locked her keys in her early 60's GM car.   I offered
to try my 59 Chevy key to see if I could open her door. She agreed to
let me try, thinking that it would certainly not hurt, but also would
likely not work.   On the first try, stroking the key a couple of times
into the lock and gently turning it the proper way to unlock it, the
lock button popped open and the door was unlocked.   It took all of a
couple seconds to open the door.   The girl could hardly believe how
easily I was able to get into her car with my car key.  The expression
on her face was priceless.

Larry