<VV> AC Alteration

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Oct 27 23:04:49 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;  I understand the desire to get that big condenser off the top
of the engine so you can see it.  Maybe even change a fan belt every few
years.  But I feel you are opening a big can of unnecessary worms.  Gm
engineers were not dummys.  They knew there would be air flow problems with
putting the condenser any place but in the normal inflow path to the engine.
The areas under the fenders are prone to damage from rocks and are filthy.
Then you want to add the sheetmetal for ducting such a thing and throw in a
fan to boot.  When done you still won't know what you will have for air
flow.  So what to do?  Put it in the wheelwell and suck crap out of the
wheel well to feed to your nice engine?  Or turn the fan around so it
constantly buck s designed airflow and starves the engine of coolent?

Now just because I did this, don't get the idea it is the only way to go.
But it did work and very well too.  Hang the condenser on the bottom of the
engine lid.  Use cardboard or hardboard or tin to close the irregular shape
under the lid and to the condenser.   Then spend a little more time making
shapes to fasten to the condenser to to drop down to mate as closely as
possible to the engine and its components.  If you are careful you can limit
air leaks to very small ones.    Rotate the condenser to where the fittings
are on the left side of the car.  Hang the hoses in a coupe of loups to
support them across the car.    You will need the hose length to absorb the
twist as the lid goes up and down.  They only have to absorb 45 degrees of
twist so don't get your undies in a twist.

I ran that car for about 8 years till my wife totaled it.  If I were to ever
do an Early again I would do it exactly the same way.  I guess if you still
feel a need for a fan you can put on under it.          BTDT