<VV> Old tires

Bob Tarpenning bobtcars at wildblue.net
Sun Oct 28 08:56:09 EDT 2012

I was on an old car tour a couple of weeks ago in my '84 Cadillac Eldorado
Convertible that I have owned about 3 years.  The tires were on the car when
I bought it and looked good.  They had about half the tread left.  I was
driving 65 to 70 MPH on the way to the start of the tour.  On the second day
of the tour the tread came off the right front at about 30 MPH and it went
flat.  Walmart was the only place open to get a new tire.  I looked at the
bad tire when they got it off.  The tire was made in 1985.  27 years old.  I
drove the 150 miles to get home very carefully.  While at Walmart I was
looking at a couple of stacks of new tires.  One stack was made in 2012 the
other stack was made in 2009.  That second stack had used up half of its
life span sitting on their shelf.  A lot of places won't fix a flat on tires
over 6 years old.  White walls are hard to find now.  I found that Hankook
still makes them at least in the 225/70/15 size.
Bob T