<VV> 64 monza wheel bearings

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Oct 28 12:16:27 EDT 2012

Yes, I've replaced many.

By far the easiest is to find an axle shaft with a good bearing already
mounted on it and just swap the axle shaft. Of course then you do not
know how long this repair will last, but usually is a long time.

If you want a new bearing, then you need a press to remove and install
the bearing on the axle shaft. You can use a hydraulic press with
various bearing separators and pipes to do the job, or a specially made
tool from Blue Chip Machine.

That special bearing puller tool is great. Pricey but great. Using a
hydraulic press I rarely removed a good bearing without damage. With
this tool, I have been able to remove, disassemble, inspect, grease and
reinstall every good bearing without damage.

Info on removing the axle shaft is in the shop manual.

Basically remove wheel, brake drum, 4 nuts holding backing plate/bearing
to lower control arm and pull axle out part way. Remove 4 bolts on
U-joint and then bolt holding yoke to axle. You will need a puller to
remove the yoke. If you beat it with a hammer, it is malleable iron and
will distort. Pull axle out of control arm and then attack the bearing.
You do not need to remove the transverse spring. Reverse to install.

Frank DuVal