<VV> AC Alteration

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 16:38:38 EDT 2012

Thanks, Smitty, for your very thorough description of a operational
design.
I would think that the GM engineers felt that if there was sufficient
heat exchange across a condensor and radiator to cool a water pumper
and car interior with so many cubic feet of air, whatever the designed
flow was, that same volume of air should also be able to cool a car
interior via the condensor and the air cooled engine. That makes sense.
They were right in most instances.

That does not mean it cannot be done in a different way, like putting
the condensor in the trunk. I've seen several of those cars work great
too.

The engineer part of my years of experience with using air flow to cool
in production and experimental aircraft also tells me that a condensor
in the right wheel well is possible. Others think the same thing and
are working on making a system work. The air above the trans/diff in
the center of the car is not dirty like it would be behind the wheel,
and ducting\baffling is effective in keeping a condensor clean. Some
classic car guys simply mount the condensor under the car somewhere
with a fan on them and they work great, too.
Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone