<VV> Fwd: Sandy Update - I I

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 14:34:04 EDT 2012

Folks,

Congratulations on escaping a flood. In the spirit of "the Lord helps those who help themselves," may I offer some advice (aside from prayer)?

Last year we had water in our basement three times. No Corvairs or Corvair parts were down there (is that "required Corvair content"?), but lots of other stuff.

Once it was due to very heavy rains (4 inches in just a few hours) overflowing our roof gutters and spilling water onto the ground next to one wall, which eventually leaked at its base. I fixed that by having the gutters cleaned and adding a downspout to increase drain-down capacity. So far that's worked, although we've not had real heavy rain to test it.

Twice the water inflow (only a couple or three inches -- enough to make a mess but not enough to despair) happened because the sump pump quit working when grid power went out. There was a backup pump that took over for a while, but its battery ran down during the night when we were asleep. After the cleanup I got a new backup pump and battery.

The second time the power outage lasted about 18 hours, long enough to run down the near-new battery. After that cleanup I bought a second battery and wired it in parallel with the first, so we should have enough juice to last 20 or so hours.

However, I also went out and bought a gasoline generator set for about $650. That was a year ago March and I've not had to use it (wouldn't you know?), but I did fuel it and fire it up last summer for some tree-cutting with my little electric chain saw. Now I know the genset works and am glad I have it, especially as Sandy approached (but no, we didn't need it, but could've).

So, I suggest that you go to a hardware or home-supply store and get a backup sump pump and battery kit. This will cost $250 to $300. If power goes down during the next storm, you'll thank the Lord you got it. Next, consider a genset. You can use it to power the primary sump pump, refrigerator, etc., until power returns. Then you won't have to pray as hard, or worry as much.

There's my three cents worth.

--Tom in Ohio