<VV> John Fitch, Hurricane Sandy

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Oct 31 23:15:20 EDT 2012

Brett wrote:

>Brian O. and Bob Marlow, is this true?

Brett (and everyone), yes, sadly, the reports appear to be true.  I
say "appear" because Hurricane Sandy has cut me off from the
world.  No power, no heat, no light, no water, and no Internet except
for a smartphone, and cell phone service is spotty.

Gasoline shortages -- had to cut back on running the generator --
along with shortages of perishable foods.  Both my business and Sue's
employer are closed.  For us, no work equals no pay.

But we got off lightly, really.  There is tremendous damaged along
the NJ coastline.  Sue and I consider ourselves fortunate.  Physical
damage was limited to our roof.

At the moment I cannot speak for Brian but I suspect that he is
suffering the same effects of Hurricane Sandy as am I.  Brian last
saw John in August, John's health was not good at the time but he was
determined to make it to the Vintage Festival at Lime Rock a few
weeks later (to meet up with old friend Sir Stirling Moss) and he did so.

The passing of John Fitch is deeply saddening, but does not come as a
surprise to those of us who knew him.  What a fabulous life.  What
outstanding service to his country.  What selflessness in
contributions to highway and racing safety.

What a gentleman.

--Bob