<VV> slow cranking and "dieseling"

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 18:48:59 EDT 2012

Ray, Yes I would first try a good known starter to see if that is the problem.
Also check the cable to ground and to the starter for high resistence
(corrosion).

Sorry 'bout the mice etc. It is work, but U can check. Any debris showing when U
look up from the bottom at the cylinders?
 MIKE KOVACS

________________________________

The following day I went to use the car and it cranked very slowly, bad
enough I wasn't sure it was going to start.  I did some running around town
and discovered the slow cranking is worse when the engine is hot.  The
"dieseling" continued to happen any time I got th engine really hot...
usually a 25 minute run on the interstate but also half hour rides on ~50
mph secondary roads.

I checked the timing, it was right where I left it at 14 BTDC.  I retarded
the timing to 11 BTDC (spec AFAIK is 12 BTDC) with no change except a
little loss in hillclimbing power.  The engine has a solid pulley, no
harmonic balancer.  Also remember I have not heard so much as one ping.

I swapped out the battery, no change still cranks slow and hot sometimes
won't start at all.

I turned the engine with a wrench on the pulley and it felt normal.  This
test was done hot when the starter was barely able to turn it.

I went back to timing which could explain both symptoms, thinking maybe the
cam gear slipped.  I pulled off the coil wire so there would be no
possibility early timing could cause the slow cranking, the starter still
could just barely turn the engine hot.

*So here is my theory.  While the car sat for a couple of weeks mice nested
in the turkey roaster a bit causing the engine to run hot.  A couple of
three hour trips with the engine running hot was enough to cook the starter
or start solenoid causing slow cranking.  The engine running too hot would
also explain the "dieseling".  *
*
*
*If the engine was overheating enough to cause the dieseling would it be
possible for it not to be pinging?*
*
*
I'm planning to pull a spark plug from each bank and take a look when the
engine is cold.

Thanks!

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III