<VV> timing light purchase advice (some Corvair, too)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 16:33:44 EDT 2012

_wrsssatty at aol.com_ (mailto:wrsssatty at aol.com)   writes:

I need  advice regarding the purchase of a new timing light.  For around
$30, it  seems, I can get a decent timing light.  For around $80 I could get a
 timing light, dwell meter, tachometer combo.  Anyone out there have any
advice?  Any brands you'd recommend, etc.?  Feel free to answer  privately
(i.e. off-list).  Oh, and, of course, I need it to use on my  Corvairs! Thanks!
~Bill Stanley

Bill - I know you are not a racer, but I suggest this particular timing
light for any Corvair owner. I replaced my old Snap-On inductance light with a
 Flaming River unit. The System is self powered (via a pair of internally
mounted  D cells) So you have no battery to find and clamp onto. This is
especially  important to folks who have moved the battery out of the engine
compartment  (racers). Just clip the pickup over the Silicone Wire (oops!) to
the Number  1 or Number 2 cylinder, aim it at the balancer/pulley, push the
button on the  side and it flashes. It is quite compact and sells for under
$60. I don't need  the dwell-tach, (since I have several!). It is Flaming
River P/N  FR1001

- Seth Emerson