<VV> Problem after 66 Turbo engine rebuild

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Tue Sep 11 22:17:32 EDT 2012

Ulli,

When you say "...speeds up to 3200 rpm like a champ" is this when you are
driving it?  It has plenty of power and accelerates normally up to 3200?

If the pressure gauge is moving from negative to positive, the turbo is at
least spinning.  If it's not missing and backfiring, you probably don't have
a coil problem, but you may very well have a distributor problem if you
swapped it.

More likely is a carb issue.  If the carb was done by someone who knows what
they are doing, then my guess is you have a throttle linkage issue either
with how it's hooked up - check the choke unloader as one likely suspect -
or an issue with the adjustment and you're not getting full throttle.  If
the carb was done by someone who doesn't know the YH, the metering rod is
probably messed up and it could be running very lean.  Easy to tell by
running it up to its 3300 "limit" and then shutting it down after a minute
or two and pull the plugs to see what you see.

If the carb and distributor were done right, my guess you have a throttle
linkage problem.  Do all the adjustments as per the manual.

Dave

> The engine started right up with no problem, runs fine and speeds up to
3200 rpm like a champ....
> but the problem starts a 3300 - almost no acceleration, pressure reading
is the first mark after the "0" .
> It is like someone is holding me from behind. I have check ignition - hard
to tell if the pressure unit works fine - ignition is set to 24 degrees.