<VV> 65 4 speed transmission problem - looking for MORE suggestions

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Wed Sep 26 14:00:43 EDT 2012

Let's see. When in neutral, ideally, the input shaft still turns (the clutch
is engaged and clamps gear to flywheel), the cluster gear turns, but no
gears are supposed to be engaged. With the clutch in, the input shaft is
supposed to stop turning.  Releasing the clutch in neutral, spins the shaft
and as above, the shaft spins with no drive gears engaged. In reality, if
the car is on jack stands, apparently due to friction, sometimes the wheels
will turn. Why? Friction? Seems like a synchronizer is gummed up and is
still turning a gear. If in neutral, however, due to the weight of the car,
a synchronizer releases, the gears should stop turning.
Appears a gear is engaging.  Could be a couple of things. First, the easiest
is the linkage is not getting trans input shaft all the way into neutral.
Probably the coupler; loose pin hole, loose coupler or possibly worn shifter
at bottom of shift lever under floor of car.
If not that, then next, worn shifter forks in the transmission. Next, worn
out sychronizers.

Someone correct me if I am missing something, please.

Chuck S