<VV> 65 4 speed transmission problem - looking for MORE suggestions

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Sep 26 14:04:02 EDT 2012

Do you mean you hear grinding?  Once the clutch is released does it stop?  Does it try to kill the engine?
Whatever it is it sounds bad.  The only way (that I can think of) to transfer any power from the input shaft to the wheels when in neutral is the input shaft dragging on the pinion shaft or a bearing seizing in the transmission.  I've never seen or heard of this happening so it seems really odd that you have 2.
I have seen the pinion bearing melt because of no lube and that causes the pinion shaft to drag on the input shaft.  That required a new differential and input shaft but the transmission was fine.
Joel McGregor
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Kinzelman, Andy [akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com]
Subject: <VV> 65 4 speed transmission problem - looking for MORE suggestions

4 speed problem:  A friend and I are both having the same problem on our 65 4 speed transmissions.  Sometimes (not always) when in neutral, as the clutch is released it sounds and feels like the gears are trying to engage; and the car creeps forward.