<VV> Independent Rear Suspension

P.H. Raker n556p at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 10:26:48 EDT 2013

Ray, & all,
     I checked the official GM sales brochures for all 10 years of production.  EVERY ONE of them, '60 through '69, says that all Corvairs have "fully independent", "4-wheel independent", or "independent front and rear" suspension systems.  The 1960 book says it four times in eight pages - thry're really making a big deal out of it.  The exact terminology depends on which year you look at, but they ALL indicate that ALL Corvairs have IRS.  IRS always was (and still is) an important Corvair feature.
     The 65 brochure says: "New chassis features are headed up by an articulating-link rear suspension system that assures nearly vertical rear wheel movement."  It also talks about the "double universal-jointed axle shafts", but nowhere does it say anything about it being the first year of fully independent suspension.  I seriously doubt that such a statement would have come officially from GM.

Phil Raker
'65 Corsa Cpe - 140/4
'63 Greenbrier - 110/4

Just to possibly stir up a little more discussion,  I would like to add
that, as I recall, the source of the statement that 1965 was the first year
for fully independent suspension was cited as coming from GM.

Maybe marketing nonsense, or maybe never stated at all.  I wonder if anyone
can confirm whether or not GM made that statement.