<VV> more magnets, now filters

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Tue Apr 2 17:41:06 EDT 2013

The only ring of fire spark plugs I've seen were Champions back in the early '80s.  You could see a ring of fire between the porcelain and the metal body at night.  I quit using Champions after I saw that.

Joel McGregor

From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] on behalf of Smitty [vairologist at cox.net]
Subject: <VV> more magnets, now filters

Smitty Says;  In the Naval aviation the standard for maximum filtration has
been 3 microns for years.  The internal filters in the aircraft are only
8-10 micron.  It is jokingly but often stated that takes everything out of
the hydraulic fluid but the red dye.  If they see no reason to filter
tighter than that, I hardly see any reason to filter our oil any tighter.  I
agree that at 1 micron you would never get enough flow to properly lubricate
the engine, unless the filter is the size of a gallon container.  My second
opinion is that I don't believe that there is an automotive filter that
filters everything one micron or larger.  Possibly they state that it
filters or captures particles down to 1 micron, but fail to mention the crud
that is passing through the 20 micron holes right next to it.
I have seen too many cow magnets and ring of fire spark plugs in my day.