<VV> Engine Fires

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:37:32 EDT 2013

I fully acknowledge that stock fuel pumps can and have started engine fires
in Corvairs, but every fire damaged Corvair I have come across personally
had an electric pump.

I do believe that those (three) engine fires caused by electric pumps were
really caused by an amateur installation with flaws... but remember when
you go around recommending this upgrade that a certain percentage of those
who follow your advice will make just such an installation.

Those bad stock pumps that were being sold for a long stretch are asking
for trouble, hopefully that problem is gone for good.  *If*  the current
stock replacements are not prone to spraying fuel into the engine room or
sending it down into the crank case I don't feel an electric is a
worthwhile upgrade for an otherwise stock car.

Ray R.
Certifiable Corvair Nut