<VV> Will it stink? (...And Other Stuff.)

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Mon Apr 8 17:46:08 EDT 2013

How many cars have you seen explode?  I've seen a lot of burned cars and never once seen one explode.  One of my customers does fire investigations for insurance companies and has investigated numerous car fires that ended up burning houses - also not one explosion.  Gasoline has to be fairly precisely mixed with oxygen to explode and that doesn't happen inside a fuel tank.
Years ago I saw a show where they set out to try to make a car fuel tank explode.  They shot it with everything they could think of and at best could only make it catch on fire.  They ended up having to use explosives to make it happen.

Joel McGregor

From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] on behalf of RoboMan9132Subject: <VV> Will it stink?  (...And Other Stuff.)

God forbid there is an explosion  but an
enclosed "stall" is not a good place for that to happen.  Keep in mind, a car
fire can quickly turn into a car  explosion.  The shock wave could rupture
through your kitchen floor.