<VV> Will it stink? (...And Other Stuff.)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Apr 8 22:44:39 EDT 2013

Joel,

Obviously, I can't comment on the specific experience of your  insurance
guy but car explosions do occur.  I am more than willing to admit  that they
are rare and occur only under unusual circumstances.  I believe  that the
situation Ignatio described might be just such a set of  circumstances.

I agree that the inside of a gas tank is not that best  environment for an
explosion because of the fuel/oxygen ratio, as you  said.  An empty tank is
more susceptible to an explosion than a full  one.  Of course, your
definition of a "precisely mixed" ratio is  arbitrary.  You can have an explosive
mixture over a fairly broad range of  air/fuel ratios.  Yes, that is an
arbitrary statement too.

The scenario I posed was where the car might be on fire in a  relatively
enclosed space or "stall" as was described by Ignacio.  When a  small space in
this case is enclosed by a firewall, as required by building  code, the
fire is hotter and/or lasts over a longer period of time depending on
availability of oxygen and fuel.  The hotter and/or longer burn means that  the fuel
in the tank boils off and might even rupture the tank.  Because of  a lack
of Oxygen, the liquid gas only burns moderately.  The vapor fills  the
immediate area burning somewhat but waiting for an influx of oxygen to  create an
explosive situation.  The venting in the garage allows some  oxygen but
that probably never makes it to the "stall" because that is likely  protected
from the major convection caused by the fire.  The most dangerous  faze in
this scenario is when the garage door or maybe even  the door into the kitchen
is opened depending on where it is in relation to the  car fire.  The
influx of oxygen into the hot gasoline vapor will almost  certainly cause an
explosion.  Firefighters are trained to open doors with  great caution in a
burning building because they know that an oxygen starved  fire in an enclosed
space is an explosion waiting to happen.  To add  emphasis, those explosions
are fueled mostly by wood, carpets, etc.  A  gasoline vapor fueled explosion
is likely to be more violent once oxygen reaches  it.  I assume you must
have seen video of burning buildings explode outward  suddenly.  Those occur
under the exact circumstances I describe.  A  door was opened or breaking
windows suddenly allowed air in.  These are the  circumstances which might
occur in Ingnacio's "stall."

The TV show you referenced is Mythbusters.  It is a very  entertaining show
and I never miss it.  They were trying to prove or  disprove the
commonality of car explosions on TV and in movies caused by  gunshots.  By the way,
they always use explosives in case the expected  explosion does not occur.  It
is more entertaining.  Their results  were as expected; the fire caused by
the tracer rounds they used was due to  burning liquid gasoline escaping
onto the ground.  The burning phosphorus  (or other substance) in the tracers
ignited it.  This situation in  outside air would not be expected to create
an explosion.  If the car were  surrounded by gas vapor and not liquid, there
would probably be a fairly  significant explosion.  If the vapor was
enclosed (as in a stall)  before it was ignited in the presence of Oxygen, the
explosion would be more  intense.

If you have an open container of gas sitting outside, you can  probably
throw a lit match into it and merely cause the gas to burn.  More  than likely,
the match would be extinguished.  If you take the same open  container of
gas and put it in an enclosed space for a few hours and tried the  same
trick, you would probably have an explosion.  As they say on  Mythbusters, "Do
not try this at home."  This is why it is so important to  have good
ventilation in your garage.

With all this said, car explosions are very rare but you can  create an
environment where it can occur.

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop
(None have exploded yet.)

In a message dated 4/8/2013 3:42:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  2