<VV> engine cuts out making left turns

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Apr 11 16:50:53 EDT 2013

Ray,

Two possible solutions .......

1.  Only make right turns.

2.  Kidding aside, it sounds like a fuel problem.   Clean your carbs,
filters, etc.  While they are apart, check the float  levels.

1.  (Again.)  UPS and probably FedEx, etc. have a  policy of making as many
right turns as possible.  (90% of the time.)   This saves time and fuel.
They estimate this method saves over 28 Million  miles and three Million
gallons of fuel each year.  I imagine part of the  reason is that the trucks do
not need to wait as much due to oncoming traffic at  intersections.  They
wait less time at traffic lights, especially where  right-on-red turns are
allowed.  For those of you who live in urban and  suburban areas, think about
those times when you have waited at an intersection  for 2, 3 or more traffic
light cycles before making a left turn.   Apparently, they used to take
practice runs with cars but now they have enough  data which includes traffic
patterns, traffic light timing as well as  miles.

I can understand how this saves time and fuel but I am  not sure how it
saves miles.  However, I can't argue with their published  stats.  No doubt the
computerized route planning has a lot to do with  it.  You can see some of
the stats here on an ABC News  link.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=3005890&page=1

I remember a MythBusters segment years ago where they tested  this claim
and they confirmed it.  (Nothing was exploded in this particular  segment.)

Ray, maybe your Corvair was owned by a UPS driver in its  past and only
made right turns.  :-)

Doc

In a message dated 4/11/2013 12:35:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message: 3