<VV> Bleeding brakes on '61

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Apr 11 20:39:41 EDT 2013

Bench bled using the pipe returned to the reservoir, or plug in the output?

You say you get fluid using the suction tool. Good fluid at all four
wheel cylinders, with the master reservoir going down?

And you get fluid at all four wheel cylinders with the two person
"push-release" method?

If the above is true, have you adjusted all eight shoes (I know, there
are just 4 adjusters)?

When the pedal goes to the floor, are there any leaks under the car? Or
under the dash?

Are you using the rubber hose into a clear bottle trick to see if there
are still air bubbles coming out of the bleed screws when doing the
push-release method? Also known as the one-man-brake-bleeder.

If you put a plug into the outlet of the master, it should pump up to
full pedal. If not, there is your problem. Yes, you need an inverted
flare plug, not a plastic part.

Frank DuVal

I just had a resleeved and now rebuilt master hemorrhaging fluid on the
floor. It was a piece of stainless left over from the sleeving operation
a year ago that got loose and stuck under the rear rubber seal, holding
it off the bottom of the bore. Since the output seal was fine, it
developed full pedal, just leaked out the boot.