<VV> brakes and RFI

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 06:42:56 EDT 2013

Frank,

RE: "... brakes not working due to RF energy."

In January 1975, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (the same NHTSA that had exonerated our early '60s Corvairs of blame in handling problems) began requiring anti-lock braking systems for heavy (over-33,000-pound) trucks with air brakes. It was a disaster. Analog ABS was unreliable and very troublesome. Most fleet managers who had the systems disconnected them; one guy who ran Central Freight Lines, in Texas, saw the problem coming and bought hundreds of Ford tractors prior to the mandate, then parked them and put them into service as he retired older tractors, so avoided the problem altogether (and was hailed as a genius by his colleagues).

In 1978 Paccar Inc. (owner of Kenworth and Peterbilt) sued in federal court, demanding that the ABS requirement be thrown out, and won. Not 'til the mid '90s did ABS return, but by then the systems were electronic and worked well.

In '73 I worked for a magazine called Commercial Car Journal, or CCJ, and my first major assignment was to do a feature on the upcoming requirement. The brake suppliers and truck builders all assured me that it would be a wonderful thing. Late that year I left that job and returned to Wisconsin, and by '77 I was in Madison, working at something totally unrelated.

One evening on a local TV news broadcast came a story about Dane County's newest trucks and how their brakes were frighteningly unreliable. A reporter interviewed two drivers who said they were afraid to operate the trucks because they never knew if the brakes would work when they pressed on the pedals, and sometimes the brakes would apply all by themselves. "Wow," I thought. "If it makes the local evening newscast, it must really be bad."

By '78 I had returned to writing about commercial trucks and trucking (which I still do), and attended a Senate hearing in D.C. on the matter. Joan Claybrook (remember the "dragon lady"?), NHTSA's administrator under Jimmy Carter, was called before a transportation committee chaired by John Danforth, a Republican from Missouri who knew something about heavy trucks.

(Danforth had tried to get Congress to mandate anti-spray mud flaps; Dow Chemical, based in Missouri, produced Astroturf and had come up with mud flaps using the stuff, and had put him up to it).

This time the trucking industry got him to hold the hearings. On that day in '78, the dragon lady was defending the ABS mandate against increasing protests from the trucking industry, and insisted in her testimony that it had safety benefits. She had commissioned a study by the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Center, trying to show that ABS had improved the safety record of heavy trucks.

The U of M researcher who did the study was also called before Danforth's committee to testify on his findings; he had just compiled preliminary figures and had not yet informed Ms. Claybrook of them. You should've seen her face when he testified that ABS had done nothing to improve safety. It hadn't increased the number of accidents since '75, but hadn't reduced them, either.

Using accident data it had compiled, Paccar had argued the same thing, which is why it won the case (and ended the controversy between Claybrook and Congress). That ABS was expensive (it cost about $1,500 per truck in mid '70s money) and trouble prone did not enter into the judge's decision.

As I recall, engineers who tested those systems got them to intermittently malfunction by broadcasting signals (from radios and other means) alongside test trucks. The solution was to harden the controls against radio-frequency interference, which at the time was rather expensive and was done mostly with military equipment (and, I suppose, NASA stuff).

Today's ABS has hardened electronics, I believe, and work well enough to have helped reduce the accident rates involving heavy trucks. A bigger factor is the expansion of freeway mileage and tighter requirements for drivers, but those are other stories.

--Tom in Ohio