<VV> $1000 bills

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Apr 18 18:24:43 EDT 2013

Time, corvairduval at cox.net writes:

There  were $1000 bills available at some banks in the 1960s... there was  a
presidential order handed down in 1969 that said to stop sending them  to
the banks... They were last printed in 1945, although they are all  "Series
of 1934"...
It was a far different time back then... Later,  Lonzo

During/after high school, (circa 1965) I worked at a non-chain  fast food
restaurant in Palo Alto, CA. The owner had a friend stop by  and pay off a
personal debt with two $1000 bills and a $500 bill. That was  the first and
only time I have seen them in person. (They didn't go into  the cash
register!) The person paying off the debt said he had to go up to  the Federal
Reserve Bank in San Francisco to get the bills.  The owner  said he was
uncomfortable carrying them around and got them to the bank  ASAP!

-Seth Emerson