<VV> Mitty Track Update 2

ricknorris at suddenlink.net ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Thu Apr 25 20:36:22 EDT 2013

We are back in the room and resting.
A great day at the track!
The weather was cold this morning but true to the forecast it got better as the day wore on. I missed the first group run as I had things to get set up but James made it out in Michael's car. He had a good run going until the "meat ball' flag came out and he returned to the pits with oil dripping out of the engine compartment. Turned out someone had left the oil cap off! I'll let Michael tell that tale but, It involves Logan.
When the second run came around I was ready with Mike Levines help and anxious to get on track to see if I had a good engine or not. I am here to say it runs like Jack the Bear! It's so nice to be able to pull 7000 RPM on the back straight and no sign of strain. When the session ended I returned to the pits and found the belt had turned and was frayed. No oil leaks at all,We changed the belt, refuled and was ready for the nest run. In the mean time Michael's car lost a belt due to the spring loaded idler pulley spring had come off. A fix was performed.
After lunch we went out for our session and after two laps my belt off light lit as I hit turn seven on a down shift. Damn! I nursed it back to the pits to find the new belt was frayed and off the pulleys. I decided to replaced the idler pulley with the one from my old engine which is in the truck, I was late getting out on the last session but I got four laps in and no belt problem, Also I really hosed it down with silicone, The car is a ball to drive especially since the engine is running so well. I am using my bored carbs with the 1 1/2" butterflies and machined taper and extended venturi arms. So far I am a happy camper. Tomorrow is practice and qualifying plus the Challenge race.
Tonight at the free coctail party put on by Hagerty I got to meet and talk to the Grand Marshall, David Hobbs! A very famous racing driver and sports caster.
Here's hoping the weather holds for another great day with Covairs and good friends.
--
Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com