<VV> 1966-67 California AIR car

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Apr 28 01:38:43 EDT 2013

The 1966-67 Corvairs delivered into California had the AIR system pictures
by Smitty. It was, frankly, a mess. At least Air Conditioned 1966 cars and
Turbo  1966 cars were exempt from the smog pump. In late 67, Chevy switched
over to the  system that was used in all 1968-69 cars. Late 67 California
cars had the same  system as the 68-69. Supposedly - as identified in a parts
book - there  were smog/AC cars built. I have seen reports of sightings, but
no photos -  hmmmmm? Anyway, the chances of one of these surviving is slim.
When the dealers  quoted the owner 4 hours for a tune-up <grin> another
Ford buyer was  hatched! That California-only smog equipment is now very hard
to find - if  anyone is actually looking for it. At some point, the State of
California told  owners they would never need to be inspected again  (insert
Sound of smog  pumps and hoses/tubes/etc. hitting the trash can) then, a
couple of years later,  they told the owners: "On second thought, we want to
see them go through test  again". At that exact moment, many Corvairs in
California suddenly had  originally been delivered out of state, so didn't need
the equipment. Wink Wink,  Nod Nod!
As of now, all Corvairs (and all 1975-back cars) are exempt from  testing.
Catch 22 applies, all equipment is still required, they just  can't require
it to be tested! Arrgh!

- Seth Emerson

In a message dated 4/27/2013 10:09:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,