<VV> alternator ground wire?

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Aug 11 14:18:34 EDT 2013

Hello Rich,

I can see where there might be some confusion if you have been working
on newer cars which often have separate and complete ground circuits and
wiring.  The Corvair (and most cars at least up through the 70's) used
the body structure and engine block as the ground circuit to the
battery. The ground side of the alternator is the case itself, and the
ground circuit is made by its connection to the engine block. No
separate wire is needed. The battery negative cable also connects to the
engine block near the alternator. There is supposed to be a support
bracket between the back of the alternator and the bolt where the
battery cable attaches. Often this is missing. Make sure also that the
10 gauge wire between the battery negative post and frame rail is in place.

Be aware that some electrical components on the Corvair, notably the
stop/turn/tail lamps and LM dash panel, often have marginal connection
to the body structure (poor grounds) which can cause loss of or erratic
function.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI