<VV> Show and Tell - Show and Ask

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:13:26 EDT 2013

I agree with Bob. Pre-ignition. You can verify this by looking at your
plugs (check all of them, this cyl may be the worst, but there will be
signs on the other cylinder spark plugs and with this much stress in this
one, I would pull all cylinders and have a look) and comparing them to a
good plug chart. Check for color, the presense of metal on the ceramic of
the plug, and so forth.

I have dealt with many cylinders, corvair and aviation air cooled engines,
and although I've dealt with rust there has never been a problem where the
rust built up in a engine that would still turn over, it does work its way
into the oil and wreck havok with bearings, etc, but the worst I have seen
in the barrels are rust pits that hold oil. Even the most severe ones still
held compression unless the pits were at the top of the ring travel, but
the engines started to use too much oil because it was impossible for the
oil scraper to do its job.

While the oil does provide lubrication for the piston and rings, its
primary purpose is cooling. The ZDDP does the most protecting as it is
burnished into the metal surfaces constantly.

I'm running Egge .030 L2206-6's in my modified car and they are working
great.

Mark Durham
Hauser, Idaho
62 vair coupe red/red 4 speed