<VV> [fastvair] knock eliminator plus ignition system

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 19:58:25 EDT 2013

Copying this to both groups as it touches on discussions I was having on
both.

As for the hesitation on transition to secondaries I found that my 65 140
linkage was binding due to a bad spring clip.  That problem is fixed and
all I'm left with is a drivers side secondary actuator rod that hangs a
bit.  I think it is probably not the correct rod.  Works fine but doesn't
always go immediately back to closed throttle when the pedal is released.

On the ignition system troubleshooting I've pretty much confirmed that the
"good" coil I was using for testing is somewhat cooked.  I noticed that
when I shake it the oil sloshes around quite a bit inside.  This is a
standard FLAPS coil.  I will replace with a better unit and relocate for
longer life.  I think this coil was unwittingly run without ballast
resistor for some time as I didn't know anything about early models when I
installed it and didn't know it was missing.

I'm still waiting to make a decision on what ignition system to use for my
street/track car... a few good options have been mentioned.  I might start
with the least expensive "good" option (a NOS electronic ignition setup
that was offered to me by a member for a great price) and see what I get
unless someone really strongly encourages me to go with something else
instead.

If I go a little cheap on the ignition system and sell off the Carter Knock
Eliminator I can put that money toward the Snow Performance water
injection.

Thanks for all the help!

Ray R.