<VV> European Delivery of GM Cars to GIs in 1970s

Irv Brock ivrbr at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 08:12:52 EDT 2013

I am seeking any firsthand knowledge of our Military Vets who were stationed overseas especially in Germany during the 70s and were able to purchase the brand new GM cars directly through the Commissary. I recently found a classic 70s car with a " data plate " that says " Hergestellt " GM Corp. USA. I remember trips to Europe back in the 70s when I was a child visiting my Uncles/Aunts and Grandparents and seeing American made cars everywhere in Germany (especially spanking new Vettes, Trans Ams and Mustangs (Autobahn).

I'm assuming all the Classic American Cars we see now in Europe came there that way and the GIs sold them when they shipped back stateside? I'm wondering if the cars were in any way modified by the factory for European delivery? Interestingly, my brother was stationed in Japan and purchased a local righthand drive used Honda Prelude. The Navy couldn't send it back for him as it didn't meet US DOT requirements. Maybe he should've bought a Muscle car and shipped it back!

Irv Brock
65 Corsa