<VV> GM cars in Europe

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Tue Aug 20 16:13:07 EDT 2013

During the late 60's when I was stationed in Germany, one could order a car
through the PX (Exchange Facilities). I saw my first Z28 in orange...ordered
that way. If you were authorized you could bring a car over to Bremmerhaven,
GE at Gov't cost and return same to Bayonne, NJ. I don't know who paid
shipping of a new car thru PX purchase-you can bet either buyer or Uncle Sam
if authorized..I don't remember how that went. I think the buyer had to pay
to have it shopped over.
If one bot a car there, he/she could  bring it back at no cost if
authorized..Officers were authorized to bring a car over and back. Certainly
some of these were sold to other service members and eventually ended up in
salvage yards or maybe in German hands.  The car had to have mods to make it
compliant with, at least in Germany, their regulations. However, by the time
a car got to the Europeans, it was worn out and a gas guzzler to boot.
Recall that Cars are taxed on displacement and fuel was and is expensive...
There was little incentive to get a big gas hog. I think I only saw one or
two during the years I was stationed there.
Now, as Seth says and previous articles have mentioned, US cars were
assembled in Europe and met regulations. Those would have been bot on the
economy. I don't recall anyone buying a German compliant car, for example,
because they didn't meet US specs in many cases -safety glass, etc. (Perhaps
US cars did. I don't remember.  Seth also points out many cars have been
sent overseas in the past years. Irv, I suspect this is where most cars that
you talk about come from. (Practically no Germans had US cars...just a few)
As an aside, many service members who bot a European car, bot it from
another serviceman or from the local mechanic wheeler-dealer and it was
cheap.  Each was old and on life support, by and large. .Those cars passed
thru many hands as folks rotated back to he States... Very common. Opels,
Fords (all were small ones), some VWs, NSU's, old Mercedes, etc.

Chuck S