<VV> Corvairs in Afghanistan

dankle at comcast.net dankle at comcast.net
Tue Aug 20 19:02:17 EDT 2013

While in Kabul in 1970, in an unsuccessful attempt by the Peace Corps to teach me Pashtu so's I could teach English to high school students, I manged to get pix of four 1960 Corvairs. Only one was on purpose, a dusty black coupe with a woman in a shadri (burka). The other three were only noticed in the background when scanning the slides later. These were no doubt shipped over to US foreign service employees who then left them there. Amazing that they still seemed to be in service after ten years - the main city streets were smooth enough but the residential areas were extremely rough, causing the embassy Plymouth Valiant I rode in to bottom out mercilessly. The Russian Volga taxis were much better suited to the environment. I know, I know, no pix or it didn't happen , but first I have to find them, then scan them, then be aware that some caveman type actually cares.
Dan Konkle