<VV> bad lifter?

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 16:04:15 EDT 2013

In trying to get my hot rodded 140 running like it should I noticed that
the left bank sounded like there was a rocker too loose so I did a hot
adjustment today with the engine running and it did not solve the problem
but I did find something interesting.

The problem is on the intake valve on the #4 cylinder.  If I continue to
tighten the rocker nut after getting rid of the valve lash the RPM
increases instead of decreases.

This seems to me to indicate a bad lifter, but I wanted your opinions.

If it is a bad lifter (or you otherwise know what the problem is) please
give suggestions on how to fix it.  I know there was some debate as to what
lifters to use.  Also can I replace just the bad one?

I am thinking of just tightening it to where it runs well until I get parts
and fix it, is that ok?

Thanks!

Ray Rodriguez III
Certifiable Vair Nut