<VV> now age of vehicles (Now competent disgnosis.)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 17:32:43 EST 2013

Wow!!!

I have not heard of a "removal and credit" policy like yours  since I
worked as a mechanic in a neighborhood service station many years  ago.  Do you
credit the part but still charge labor for the R &  R?  Almost universally,
dealer and non-dealer service starts with $125-150  just to plug into the
computer.  The "problem" printout has anywhere from 5  to 20 potential problems
that usually includes the oxygen sensor.  Keep in  mind that the O2 sensor
will always register a problem if the engine doesn't run  right.  It doesn't
mean the sensor is bad.  I wonder how many millions  of perfectly good O2
sensors now reside in landfills.  The new O2  sensor stays in the car and you
pay for it even though they almost always  continue to work their way down
the "problem" list ... at your expense.   The excuse is that "there was more
than one thing wrong."

Most, if not all, computer based automotive systems allow you  to access
the onboard data and see the same information the professional  diagnosis
equipment tells the mechanic.  I access my vehicle's computer  with a paper clip
I bent up to jumper two points on a plug.  Go to your  FLAPS and buy a
repair manual (not owner's manual) for  your vehicle for $20 or so.  The manual
will tell you how to access the  data, interpret what it means as well as
let you look up symptoms of  many problems.  If your symptoms are in the
manual, great.  If not, it  is still cheaper to do your own parts swap.  Hint
..... do not start with  the O2 sensor.  If you can't do your own work or
choose not to, at least  you can be a little educated when you talk to the
mechanic.  If the  mechanic gives you attitude about your input, go somewhere
else.  If you  paid for the computer diagnosis, grab it before you leave.  You
paid for it  .... you own it.  If you can give them your handwritten list of
potential  problems, you might even try to tell them not to plug your car
into their  computer.  It probably won't work because that $125-150 is pure
profit other than the few minutes it takes to plug your car in.  This
assumes that the cost of the computer is already amortized.

I am sure that there are mechanics at some dealerships and  private shops
that are both ethical and capable of doing real "human" diagnosis  of a
problem but I have found that most are swappers for profit or lack of  competence
reasons.  If they can use the "problem list" as justification  for a $1200
invoice versus a $200 invoice they usually opt for the  dollars.

Your "removal and credit" policy gives you a big incentive to  develop
significant competence in diagnosis.  Working on only one make of  vehicle helps.

JMO

Doc

In a message dated 12/13/2013 1:15:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

Message:  3