<VV> 63 Spyder, ebay

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Dec 18 01:16:30 EST 2013

At 11:33 PM 12/15/2013, Smitty wrote:
>Smitty Says;   Right On Seth.  I too have never bought a car with
>the intension of selling it.

Nor have I.  The only reason I ever bought a car is because I wanted
to own it.

>I have owned dozens of basket case Corvairs and every one of them
>left me in better condition than when I bought it.  Looking back I
>have not the faintest clue why.  I lost money on almost all of them,
>but at the same time, Once fixed, I drove them very cheaply for
>years.  Maybe that was the reason.

I bought my '60 4-door as a tired worn battle weary burned-valve
reject that another club member had bought to part out for its gas
heater and bumpers etc.  I saw it in his lot and tried to remember
the last time I'd seen a '60 Corvair on the roads.  It looked pretty
damn rough, not much paint left on it at all (originally white over
silver) but it was straight.  It took 400 bucks to get him to part
with it, seeing as how that was what he'd expected to make off the
car from his vending etc.   I fixed the valve issues,
tagged/registered the car, drove it... for an additional appx 168,000
miles past what was already on it.  Last time I put tires on it, I'd
driven it to his shop to have them mounted and he asked me if it was
the same one...  "yes"... He said "I'll be damned.  I'd have thought
you'd have gotten rid of it a long time ago."

Nope.  And, it still looks pretty much like it did the day I bought
it.  Only now it has a pretty interior...that nobody notices; too
busy scowling at the exterior.

>Buy them for a little bit of nothing, repair them as needed, and
>then pour gas and oil in them till Someone came along that loved
>them more than I.

Not likely to happen with this one... ;)

tony..

PS:  Now I'm feeling inspired to make something of the '63 Spyder
ragtop project I have stashed away