<VV> smelly heater

Ernie Sanders epssax at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 22:58:46 EST 2013

I have to agree with Smitty on this one.  I chased a smelly heater with all new parts in the heater system and still had carbon smell.  After exhausting(sorry) all other options I checked my head gaskets.  Most head bolts were between 9-12 ft.lbs.!  The engine had been rebuilt before I bought the car and it never got re-torqued after a break in.  Re-torqued the heads and adjusted the valves and exhaust smell was solved.

Now if I could only solve my air infiltration on my 1967 coupe  I'd have wall to wall heat.  It's great at a light but at highway speed there is more cold air coming in than the heater can keep up with.

Ernie in Fisherville, KY