<VV> Wheel Cylinders Survey

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Mon Dec 23 16:12:35 EST 2013

On 12/23/2013 12:31 PM, lonwall at corvairunderground.com wrote:
> The vast majority of wheel cylinders are not rebuildable, regardless of
> what your intentions may be. We tried doing rebuilt wheel cylinders
> about 25 years ago before the repros were done but even then it just
> didn't pencil out.
>
> Lo
> www.corvairunderground.com
?? do you mean they are not in good enough condition?
I guess a unit that's been in service for 50 years could have serious
corrosion issues, but not necessarily.
The cylinders on mine are '61-62 Tempest, and those are a lot harder to
find than standard 'Vair cylinders.
  But regarding cost - there is the cost of the labor to clean and hone
the bore, and there is the cost of downtime and finding and getting a
replacement.
Those can pencil out a number of different ways, depending on the
priorities and needs of the moment.
For an overhaul, you mainly need the right size cups to get a car on the
road.
It is preferable, of course, to have new boots as well.
But the car really doesn't care about the rest - as long as the pistons
move freely and the cups don't leak, it is happy.
cheers
Jay