<VV> Non-Corvair Specific: Gas freezing?

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 16:53:36 EST 2013

Another consideration on newer cars is that the gas tanks are not vented
like our older corvairs, so there is less chance for any condensation
unless there is water in the fuel.
Mark Durham, Hauser lDAHO
On Dec 23, 2013 7:23 PM, <ricebugg at comcast.net> wrote:

All:  My wife ask if we should fill up the tank on her RAV tonight.  We
then had a conversation about keeping at least half a tank of gas in the
car during cold weather like we are having now in Central Illinois.  She
thought it was to keep the gas from freezing.  I told her it was to give
you heat if you get in trouble, assuming the motor is still running.  I
realize condensation inside the tank can freeze in a fuel line, but that it
is rare.  Never had it happen in 40 plus years of driving up here.

I assume one of you chemist types will know the answer here.  The question
is, just out of curiousity, what is the freezing temp of gasoline?  I
assume it will freeze at some temp, but so far down the scale everything
else in the car has become non-functioning.

Thanks,

Historically Yours,
                    James Rice

the property
of the writer, please attribute properly. For help, mailto:
vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org