<VV> Corvair Specific: Gas freezing?

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Dec 28 10:22:53 EST 2013

Well, all of this discussion of temperatures and pressures is applicable
to Corvair powered UltraVans.  Using a Corvair engine with PowerGlide as
the drive train, we usually need all the torque the engine can muster.
In the Rockies, I always re-jet the carbs (fast jet change mod on the
HVs) and bump the ignition timing up.   You would never make it over
Slungullion Pass (11,500+ feet)  in a 5,400 lb UltraVan without getting
every ounce of power out the engine.  Dropping to 48 jets and adding 5
degrees of advance above 5,000 ft really helps with the torque.  If we
are going to be in Lake City, CO (8,761 feet) for a week or more, I add
more timing and go down a couple more jet sizes.  If I get too
aggressive, the Safeguard will save me.   If you are ever in Lake City
bring your fly rod as the fishing is beyond fantastic.
Jim Davis