<VV> Tire size vs air pressure survey

Ron ronh at owt.com
Mon Dec 30 22:13:59 EST 2013

Never do the tire or automobile manufacturers recommend operating tires at
the maximum safe inflation pressure.  That's analogous to operating ropes,
cables  and hoses at their rated loads which is never done where safety is a
concern.  The tire manufacturers have no idea where their tires will end up
so they designate a maximum safe pressure that has nothing to do with the
dynamics of a specific car and especially a Corvair.  Maximum tire pressure
in the front of my Corvair would have sent me wildly off the road on many
occasions, I'm sure.

I don't understand the fetish for high tire pressures on the highway amd
find it interesting that the Germans who are very fussy about such things
specify 32 front and 33 rear for my Crossfire and those values are good to
150 mph.

RonH