<VV> 13" Tires Supply Project for our and other clubs and their suppliers

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 11:00:11 EST 2013

The 13 inch tires our cars used were also used by other makes and models (true our early models had better quality tires than what the competitors had originally, but that has evened out).  Has anyone seen any info from other car clubs concerning their tire supply problems?  I wonder if a joint effort by Corvair owners, X-car owners and other car clubs (Lancia?  Falcon? ) would have a greater inpact on tire manufacturers.  I realize new molds and tooling have capital intensive startup costs along with quality control issues but might it not be economically feasible to have car clubs (and suppliers for those clubs) join together to show the demand for another large run of tires that fit our original wheels by pre-ordering a run?  There is a guy in our neighborhood who got rid of his very nicely maintained Citation X-11 because he couldn't get 13" tires for it anymore.  Some of us still use our cars as cost efficient daily transportation and would benefit from having a ready supply of tires without having to buy larger wheels and their more expensive larger tires.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics
CORSA