<VV> TIRES REVISITED

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Feb 6 10:36:46 EST 2013

I ran 175/80R13 on early cars for years. Ever since they went away from B78
series markings. Worked fine for me on convertibles, 2 and 4 door sedans.
They are easier to install into the wheel openings on 4 doors and wagons
than 185/80 series (or C78).

I have 175/70R13 on a 64 Spyder coupe. They appear too short, but I have
been driving them (as much as I drive that poor rust bucket) for 5 years
now... The load rating is fine, and the tread patch on the ground is
similar to the 175/80 I used for years. Just short sidewalls, since ratio
is 70. Just tell people you "slammed" the car for a better look!

Old means different things for different styles of driving. Only you can
judge what is safe for you. I look for checks/cracks or slipped belts
causing lumps. All those are remove immeadiately from service.

Frank DuVal