<VV> Old tires, Revisited (No Corvair)

Ron ronh at owt.com
Fri Feb 8 14:38:10 EST 2013

The recent discussion regarding the use of older tires became real for me
yesterday when I didn't expect it at all as I was just making a quick trip
to the store to buy some cat food.
Not in a Corvair, my Chrysler has only 11,000 miles on it and the tires are
Michelin Pilot 255/35ZR19's speed rated at 186 mph.  Should be pretty safe,
right?  As I slowed down from 60 mph to exit the highway, the ride became
very rough but I continued to get off the highway and exited slowly.  After
driving 20 mph to a safe parking place, I found the right rear had split the
sidewall on over a third of the circumference and could be said to be
shattered.  Glad I wasn't going 150, but then I never have.
Only 11,000 miles, but, nine years, that's the fatal flaw!  They were well
cared for and the car had been parked under shelter at all times but
apparently that's all they are good for.  And those Michelin tires go for
$355 each!
Many days I feel safer in my Corvairs and yesterday was one of them and my
wagon has new tires that only cost $60 each.
RonH - now relying on a reliable Rampside for backup while new tires are
ordered.